Old 09-12-2010, 08:26 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Gardeners' World goes back to its roots with Monty

On 2010-12-08 17:20:00 +0000, Jeff Layman said:

On 08/12/2010 09:03, Derek wrote:
Monty Don is returning to the helm of Gardeners' World, almost three
years after a stroke forced him to leave the show.

The 55-year-old will replace Toby Buckland, who was informed by BBC
bosses yesterday that his contract will not be renewed. Buckland was
said to be "devastated" by the decision.

Alys Fowler, another Gardeners' World regular, is also leaving the
programme, the BBC announced. Carol Klein and Joe Swift will return
for the new series alongside Rachel de Thame.

I guess Toby Buckland wasn't "politically correct" enough. On rare
occasions he actually mentioned use of chemicals! Probably made the
organic-biased BBC producers apoplectic....

None of that with Monty Don. The C-word will be banished!

I hope not. Everything has its place and not everyone either can, or
wants to, garden in a one-size fits all fashion.

I do agree. But if you read Don's gardening articles in Saturday's Daily
Mail Magazine, his mantra is "Chemicals should not be used". That's it
- no argument. And that is why I prefer Buckland to Don; he's a lot
more open minded.

--

Jeff