Old 09-12-2010, 03:45 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Steve Peek Steve Peek is offline

Default OT heads up- long

"Bill who putters" wrote in message
In article ,
"FarmI" ask@itshall be given wrote:

"Bill who putters" wrote in message
In article ,
"FarmI" ask@itshall be given wrote:
"Bill who putters" wrote in message
In article ,
"FarmI" ask@itshall be given wrote:
"Bill who putters" wrote in message

Found OCA Oxalis tuberosa said to
be a lost Inca tuber. A late fall baby potato like plant. This
found
in Nichols.

'Lost'????? It's grown commercially in NZ where it is known as NZ
yam.
http://www.garden-nz.co.nz/grow-your...s-grow-your-ow
n.h
tml

Farml do you know of any other lost vegetables ?

The only one that garden magazines regularly put into that group would
be
the Wollemi Pine, however, since no-one except maybe at a pinch, a
lost
Aboriginal knew it might perhaps have ever existed, I wouldn't even
include
that as being 'lost'. It was just never known by anyone in the
western
world until 'discovered'.

I don't think any plants are ever lost except in the case of species
extinction. Plants in certain cultures might be unknown, but that is
not
the same thing as 'lost'.

semantics

Sigh!

You asked a dumb question. I tried to give a response in unambiguous
English but it seems that didn't work so I'll put it another way.

How would I know of any "OTHER LOST" vegetables when I never knew that
oca
was supposed to be 'lost' in the first place.

http://www.nap.edu/catalog.php?record_id=1398

--
Bill S. Jersey USA zone 5 shade garden

"Always tell the truth and you don't have to remember anything."
--Mark Twain.

Very cool book! I just wish it weren't so darned expensive.