Old 09-12-2010, 09:35 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Mike Lyle Mike Lyle is offline

Default Gardeners' World goes back to its roots with Monty

Spider wrote:
[...]

I believe that the "30min construction" slot was created to give we
gardeners a taste of that longed-for "cheap build-it slot" that Geoff
Hamilton always did so well and somehow made relevant. It's a shame
it misfired.

They could bring in the wonderful Rico Daniels, the Salvager from Quest
(47 on my Freeview). He's a hoot. He'd make a clever flower container
out of truck axles, telegraph poles, and a discarded field gun. But I
doubt if he's much of a gardener...

I am sorry they're shortening the programme, though. With so many
different specialities and diversifications within gardening, a longer
programme would make more sense ... or perhaps these specialities
could make extra programmes. I won't hold my breath though.

I still can't rid myself of the impression that TV people don't like
gardening, and don't /really/ believe that anybody else does. I wonder
if they should forget the basic channels and send it over to BBC4, where
they could do a full-length serious job.

--
Mike.