Old 10-12-2010, 08:38 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
chris French chris French is offline

Default Xmas gifts

In message , Janet Tweedy
writes
In article ,
Janet writes
Me too, it;s not much to ask, is it?
One Christmas J gave me an engraving kit, an electric gadget which
can quite quickly engrave an aluminium plant tag that will last for
ever. It's excellent but only useful for permanent plants; not for the
multiplicity of seedtrays, cutting pots and veg rows.

Janet

The Which magazine proposed that we paint plastic labels or old
recycled plastic bottles, with black paint and then scratch the name on
with an empty brio,
Not at all sure this would work, how much paint and what kind for
example?

Most paints will stick - even kids poster paints, but these would give
thin coverage and longevity will probably not be so go with that or
emulsion.

Best would probably be an acrylic paint, heardwearing, and quick
drying, or gloss paint.

How much - well 'enough' I guess, doesn't seem very critical, and a
quick bit of experimentation would give a suitable coverage.
--
Chris French