Old 11-12-2010, 11:35 AM posted to rec.gardens
Dan L[_2_] Dan L[_2_] is offline

Default swarm_intelligence_in_plants

Bill who putters wrote:
"The idea that plants basically have nerves ‹ a conclusion that grows
out of hard-to-interpret observations of electrical activity in plant
tissue ‹ has ignited a thunderstorm of its own among plant scientists
in
recent years.
³The use of the word intelligence (with or without swarm) simply
humanizes (or animalizes, since they talk about swarms) the
situation,²
says David Robinson or the University of Heidelberg in Germany. Such
³silly² terminology, in his words, ³reduces serious plant science to
the
level of esoterics.²
However, he¹s not disputing the ability of plants to solve complicated

strategic problems. ³Of course,² he says, ³it¹s well known that roots
have Œcognitive¹ abilities.²"

http://www.sciencenews.org/view/gene...n/Rooting_for_
swarm_intelligence_in_plants

Hmmm...

To have intelligence requires a brain in my book, not just a nervous
system. Starfish have a nervous system but no brain. A nervous system
just provides a stimulus reaction, like if it's too hot move away, move
towards or away from a light source.

Plants probably do have a nervous system, sunflowers turn toward the sun
and so on. I would not however call it intelligent. Creatures with
brains have thought, not just a stimulus reaction. Examples: like
survival techniques, remembers where the nest is, where can I find food
sources. In my book plants have no intelligence of any kind!

The field science is going down hill in this world.