Old 11-12-2010, 09:43 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default swarm_intelligence_in_plants

Amos Nomore wrote:
In article ,
Bill who putters wrote:

"The idea that plants basically have nerves a conclusion that grows
out of hard-to-interpret observations of electrical activity in plant
tissue has ignited a thunderstorm of its own among plant
scientists in recent years.
³The use of the word intelligence (with or without swarm) simply
humanizes (or animalizes, since they talk about swarms) the
situation,² says David Robinson or the University of Heidelberg in
Germany. Such ³silly² terminology, in his words, ³reduces serious
plant science to the level of esoterics.²
However, he¹s not disputing the ability of plants to solve
complicated strategic problems. ³Of course,² he says, ³it¹s well
known that roots have Ocognitive¹ abilities.²"

http://www.sciencenews.org/view/gene...n/Rooting_for_
swarm_intelligence_in_plants

Seems to me that "cognition" would be a more humanizing term to apply
to plants than the broader, imho, "intelligence". Silly semantics
aside - what I want to know is, are plants self-aware?

Some veges that post on usenet seem to be.

David