Old 20-04-2003, 06:16 AM
LeighMo

Default hair algae

I have hair algae in my 55 gal planted tank. It's been up for 5 years,
filled with crypts, swords, anubias, hygros, water sprite, and many
others. I use 4 55 watt PC's 6400 K on for 12 hr..,

That's 4 watts per gallon. That is a *lot* of light. You may always struggle
with algae at that light level.

Make sure you have a lot of fast-growing stem plants in the tank. With that
light level, the tank needs to be full of plants, and most of them should be
the fast-growing variety.

I have 4 SAE and 6 Amano
shrimps (anyone know of an online source for Amano's?).

www.aquariumfish.net

I bought my shrimp from them, and was very happy with the transaction.

However, it might be cheaper to ask your LFS to order them for you.
"Algae-eating shrimp" are usually on the stock lists these days.

..Any and all suggestions are
appreciated.

Post your parameters: KH, GH, pH, nitrate, temperature. And what fertilizers
do you use?

You say the tank's been set up for 5 years. Has it always had an algae
problem? If not, have you changed anything recently?

Leigh