Old 11-12-2010, 10:37 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Spider[_3_] Spider[_3_] is offline

Default Gardeners' World goes back to its roots with Monty

On 09/12/2010 21:35, Mike Lyle wrote:
Spider wrote:
[...]

I believe that the "30min construction" slot was created to give we
gardeners a taste of that longed-for "cheap build-it slot" that Geoff
Hamilton always did so well and somehow made relevant. It's a shame
it misfired.

They could bring in the wonderful Rico Daniels, the Salvager from Quest
(47 on my Freeview). He's a hoot. He'd make a clever flower container
out of truck axles, telegraph poles, and a discarded field gun. But I
doubt if he's much of a gardener...

Can't say I've ever seen him at work. Sounds intriguing, though. I
think he'd need to be a gardener, so I don't think he's got the job.

I am sorry they're shortening the programme, though. With so many
different specialities and diversifications within gardening, a longer
programme would make more sense ... or perhaps these specialities
could make extra programmes. I won't hold my breath though.

I still can't rid myself of the impression that TV people don't like
gardening, and don't /really/ believe that anybody else does. I wonder
if they should forget the basic channels and send it over to BBC4, where
they could do a full-length serious job.

It's certainly a possibility, but I don't see Beeb 1 giving GW up, even
if they don't really value it. What would be really nice is an entire
gardening channel so all types of gardener would be catered for. They
could even do a 'snail-on-the-wall' programme in a new-build garden :~).

--
Spider
from high ground in SE London