Old 12-12-2010, 04:55 PM posted to rec.gardens
Dan L[_2_] Dan L[_2_] is offline

Default swarm_intelligence_in_plants

Brooklyn1 Gravesend1 wrote:
In article ,
Dan L wrote:

Billy wrote:
In article ,
Dan L wrote:

Brooklyn1 Gravesend1 wrote:
On Sat, 11 Dec 2010 10:11:50 -0500, wrote:

Bill who putters writes:

"The idea that plants basically have nerves ‹ a conclusion
that
grows
out of hard-to-interpret observations of electrical activity in
plant
tissue ‹ has ignited a thunderstorm of its own among plant
scientists in
recent years.

Article in question is a semantic game.

Here they are attempting to stretch the meaning of the phrase
"swarm intelligence".

Plants reacting to the environment is in no way intelligence as
the
word is commonly understood.

That's a matter of perspective. Flora survives well without
fauna
but
not vice versa... plants have obviously evolved a higher form of
intelligence... reproduction and photosynthesis from the
perspective
of plants is the higher intelligence... only humans make asinine
superiority judgements.

Maaaaybbee, plants do have the smarts in a way. Plants have me
trained
to water and feed them on a regular basis. I groom the intelligent
grass
that makes it attractive. The plants have also trained me to help
them
to propagate... The plants do have a higher intelligence than
humans...

OH NO! GAIA is the real GOD and I am now scared! Kneeling... Hands
together...
Oh lord GAIA, I pray to thee Vegetable Garden that nourishes my
body...

Michael Pollan refers to this as a literary conceit.
http://michaelpollan.com/videos/michael-pollan-at-ted/

I could not read the link, do I need the TED application?
Is literary conceit the same as sarcasm?

No.

My family members are very strong fundamentalist authoritative
christian
types.

My condolences.
Violence is out of the question, therefore I alway resort to SARCASM
when it comes to religious, political and philosophical views.

Resorting to SARCASM personifies EVIL!
http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/sarcasm

Perhaqps you should learn to use "facetious".
http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/facetious

I take the latter, facetious then.

I have my own definition of Good and Evil. Evil is one that harms the
tribe in which one lives within. In my book religions are harmful to
society. So I can insult religion and feel good about it