Old 14-12-2010, 12:35 AM posted to rec.gardens

Default Pictures of life in summer

Dan L wrote:
"David Hare-Scott" wrote:
FarmI wrote:
"David Hare-Scott" wrote in message
For those who may be interested in some of the things around my
place or just up to their waist in snow and looking for a door into
summer. http://s1086.photobucket.com/albums/j444/HareScott/

I love the pic of Mootilda in mid cud chew!!! She is a lovely
looking girl. Dry by the look of her. When is she due?

Yes she is dry. That is the problem, she isn't due, she is just fat!
We have no practical way to put her on a diet nor put a suitable bull
over her. All our agisters (who thought we were wonderful during
drought) have abandoned us. Anybody with a 1/4 acre of dirt can feed
a horse right now. So where we would like to have 10 horses (and
could feed 16 for the summer) we have 3 horses and a cow. So they
are all fat.

And that head (shape, eye, colour) on the chook looks very
Australorp like but I can now see those red feathers and they
aren't Australorp like. She look like she'll do the job though.

I will try to get some shots of all 4 girls for the knowledgable to
critique.

David

I was wondering the same thing about Mootilda, but afraid to ask.
Why a bull, when eighty bucks and a vet up to their armpit could do
the same job

Two problems, you need a yard and crush, and to get the local AI person to
come and do one cow for a bunch of newbies. Yes a neighbour would "lend" me
a bull (put Mootilda in with his cows for a few weeks) but they are beef
breeds that are too big for her. So I am stuck at the moment.

The grass height is amazing, she must be in heaven! Smaller pens and
rotate the pens could trim her a bit. But I thought a fat cow would be
desirable? But then again my fence cost well over a thousand bucks,
all on a credit card

It may not be apparent but the paddock is divided into 5 strips of about 2
acres, we normally rotate them every few weeks. I cannot afford the time or
the wire to make them smaller, what I need is more stock. With my soil in
this season one strip grows more than the 4 of them can eat.

I was planning to rotate the cow every few years, milk to beef. Keep
the calf pregnant and hope every other offspring is male. Younger the
cow the healthier the milk and tastier beef. Is this a bad idea? I am
new to this game?

Ask Fran I am just as much a newbie about cattle.

Ok, you asked, winter pictures:
http://www.nadrhel.com/Winter.html

That is so foreign to me where you cannot do anything much outside. I would
get very frustrated.

David