Old 14-12-2010, 07:00 AM posted to rec.gardens
FarmI FarmI is offline

Default Pictures of life in summer

"Dan L" wrote in message
"David Hare-Scott" wrote:
FarmI wrote:
"David Hare-Scott" wrote in message
For those who may be interested in some of the things around my
place or just up to their waist in snow and looking for a door into
summer. http://s1086.photobucket.com/albums/j444/HareScott/

I love the pic of Mootilda in mid cud chew!!! She is a lovely
looking girl. Dry by the look of her. When is she due?

Yes she is dry. That is the problem, she isn't due, she is just fat!
We have no practical way to put her on a diet nor put a suitable bull
over her. All our agisters (who thought we were wonderful during
drought) have abandoned us. Anybody with a 1/4 acre of dirt can feed
a horse right now. So where we would like to have 10 horses (and could
feed 16 for the summer) we have 3 horses and a cow. So they are all
fat.

And that head (shape, eye, colour) on the chook looks very Australorp
like but I can now see those red feathers and they aren't Australorp
like. She look like she'll do the job though.

I will try to get some shots of all 4 girls for the knowledgable to
critique.

David

I was wondering the same thing about Mootilda, but afraid to ask.
Why a bull, when eighty bucks and a vet up to their armpit could do the
same job
The grass height is amazing, she must be in heaven! Smaller pens and
rotate the pens could trim her a bit. But I thought a fat cow would be
desirable?

No. Dairy cows such as Mootilda are generally quite thin when in milk and
they tend to stay that way unless they are dry and on good feed like David
has. Any cow is far better off when calving to be thin rather than fat.

Fat cows can often have problems with the birth. (Just like humans but
don't tell any fat pregnant woman that I said that or I'll get lynched. )
I've spent way to much time assisting in pulling calves out of cows to
recommend any fat cows to anyone.

And the other thing is that fat cows will often then have problems as a
result of the birth such as post deliver paralysis. Believe me you don't
want to deal with a cow on the ground and needing to be turned over at least
4 times a day and then having to try to feed new calf. Keep 'em slim
leading up to the birth. But I have to say that I like the look of plump
cows, just not fat cows in calf.

But then again my fence cost well over a thousand bucks, all
on a credit card

I was planning to rotate the cow every few years, milk to beef. Keep the
calf pregnant and hope every other offspring is male. Younger the cow
the healthier the milk and tastier beef. Is this a bad idea? I am new to
this game?

Ok, you asked, winter pictures:
http://www.nadrhel.com/Winter.html

That's beautiful but all that snow would give me the irrits after more than
2 days or coping with it.