Old 14-12-2010, 06:51 PM posted to rec.gardens
Higgs Boson Higgs Boson is offline

Default Boysenberries -cut back vines?

On Dec 14, 10:46*am, Higgs Boson wrote:
I can't believe I'm asking this -- talk about stooopid...

Is one supposed to cut back the vines after bearing? *If so, how far?
Or?

Neighbor gave me several plants years ago as b'day gift. *Now they
have taken up residence all over the garden, and are waving long,
spiny vines at me. *Getting a few berries, but should be getting more
(yum!)

I want to centralize them in one area where they can climb up a
trellis but do not know how/whether
to cut back.

This is So.Calif coastal.

TIA

HB

Update: Sorry, should have checked before posting. Here's what one
Web site said:

"Boysenberries berries grow profusely with horizontal vines. After
harvesting, the biggest job a gardener or a farmer has to do is
pruning. After effective pruning you will prepare your plant for the
next growing season.

* Do not prune boysenberry plants in the first year after it is
planted, let it produce fruit and grow as much as possible. Prune it
in the next year.
* Use bypass pruners to prune all the fruit bearing canes. Cut
down the canes to 2 inches above the soil level.
* Tie all the new fruit bearing canes to a trellis. Use a string
to attach the new canes carefully to the trellis.
* Remove the tips of the new fruit bearing canes in mid summer.
This method of removing tips encourages lateral growth in the plant.
* Cut the side branches of the new fruit bearing canes of the last
season. Cut these branches so that they remain 1 foot long."

***Now I am somewhat intimidated. *** Looks like even 8 or 10 plants
would need a LOT of horizontal space. This is where your feedback can
help me. Also, do you have any disagreements with quoted procedure?

Mucho TIA

HB

: