Old 14-12-2010, 05:15 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Jake Jake is offline

Default Gardeners' World goes back to its roots with Monty

On Mon, 13 Dec 2010 09:29:52 +0000, chris French
wrote:

In message , writes
In article ,
chris French wrote:
In message , Jake
writes

I'm particularly careful with electricians these days. I've rewired
two houses in the past, getting my work passed by the tester who had
to connect the tails to the meter, but am now "incapable" of doing
anything serious because of "Part P" regulations. When I had a new
kitchen fitted at home I got a "Part P" qualified fitter do the
electrical work. Subsequently, having identified problems (which I
couldn't correct as I'm not Part P qualified), I got another
electrician to put the botch job right (and got the first electrician
to pay).

That's not correct.

You can do 'Part P' notifiable works, you just need to put in a building
regs application for them.

For which you will be charged on the order of 250 pounds. Per job.

True, but if you are doing a big enough job, then cost wise it's still
worth it. And you don't have to then employ an electrician to not do the
job properly .

I've spent years living and breathing all the different building regs
- "Doc M", "Part P" and so on, and often thinking they are daft.
Technically, I can wire up an office building badly and potentially
kill lots of people but I cannot wire up my own home badly and just
kill myself.

A lot of wiring work, done properly, is hidden behind walls. I have
known cases of people doing the job themselves and then asking an
electrician to certify the work (complies fully with Part P) but the
electrician says he has to check everything and ends up charging as
much as he would have charged to do the job in the first place and
leaves more mess! Part P is a real rip-off in my view and doesn't
really achieve anything.

In my case, I didn't have time to go through the notice procedure with
Building Control and, in any event, had I corrected the botch job
myself the original sparkie would have got away with a lot. Getting
another electrician to do the work meant I had an invoice with which
to make the original idiot pay up (and another electrician to report
back to NICEIC on the first and, hopefully, prevent any future botch
jobs).