Old 15-12-2010, 03:00 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Wilson[_5_] Wilson[_5_] is offline

Default Carrot bed question.

On 12/15/10 8:35 AM, sometime in the recent past DogDiesel posted this:
I got the Johnies catalog. What a good catalog. And I see they sell
burdock, Which I buy quite a bit of. Its difficult to find. Their growing
suggestion is to grow them in deep carrot soil. Or a raised bed to make
harvesting easier.

What is deep carrot soil. ?? Does it mean I have to dig a pit and fill it
with soil.

I just looked at Phorbin's link and it strikes me funny that seeds and young
plants are actually sold. Not that anyone would want them, that I can see,
but they are hardy from zones 2 through 10, they are a bane to anyone with a
long-haired dog or cat. Where do you live that you can't locate some wild
ones to collect seeds from? When my dog brings the burrs (seeds) home, I put
them in the fire so they won't grow in my yard. lol Reminds me of when I was
a kid and we would take our Irish Setter pheasant hunting in NJ, USA - that
poor dog would come home with a pound of burrs stuck in it's hair and I'd
spend hours grooming him after. Good luck.

--
Wilson 44.69, -67.3