Old 15-12-2010, 03:45 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Dan L[_2_] Dan L[_2_] is offline

Default Carrot bed question.

Wilson wrote:
On 12/15/10 8:35 AM, sometime in the recent past DogDiesel posted
this:
I got the Johnies catalog. What a good catalog. And I see they
sell
burdock, Which I buy quite a bit of. Its difficult to find. Their
growing
suggestion is to grow them in deep carrot soil. Or a raised bed to
make
harvesting easier.

What is deep carrot soil. ?? Does it mean I have to dig a pit and
fill it
with soil.

I just looked at Phorbin's link and it strikes me funny that seeds and
young plants are actually sold. Not that anyone would want them, that
I can see, but they are hardy from zones 2 through 10, they are a bane
to anyone with a long-haired dog or cat. Where do you live that you
can't locate some wild ones to collect seeds from? When my dog brings
the burrs (seeds) home, I put them in the fire so they won't grow in
my yard. lol Reminds me of when I was a kid and we would take our
Irish Setter pheasant hunting in NJ, USA - that poor dog would come
home with a pound of burrs stuck in it's hair and I'd spend hours
grooming him after. Good luck.

I have a raised bed that is 10 inches above ground and another 10 inches
of loose soil below it, for a total of twenty inches. I grow 8 inch long
kuroda carrots. The roots go deep for carrots. I also plant the seeds
directly into the ground. I have never had success with seed kits
indoors with carrots, but great success with direct seed in the ground.
What's Up Doc?