Old 15-12-2010, 03:46 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Marcella Peek Marcella Peek is offline

Default Raised beds - really raised

There were some built on the Martha Stewart show. They were shallow for
things like lettuce and such which is how they kept the weight down.
Here's the article:

http://www.marthastewart.com/article/salad-table

I have a friend in a wheelchair. He had raised beds built on his patio
so his chair would easily roll around the concrete between beds. These
beds were about counter top height. However they were soil from ground
up - just really tall raised beds. Again, you don't have the weight
problem because there aren't legs holding anything this way...just lots
of soil to fill something this big. His beds weren't huge - 4 feet
square? He had to be able to reach the center from his chair.

marcella

In article ,
Cipher wrote:

I've asked a similar question back a ways but I thought I'd ask again
with a twist.

The coming year we're looking at starting vegetable gardening, however
the soil is all dense-pack clay. We're looking at raised beds - by which
I mean building boxes and raising them about three feet off the ground
because neither of us can bend over for regular weeding easily.

My back-of-the-envelope calculations show a 1m x 2.5m x .5m box, when
full of wet soil, weighs in at just over 1400kg!

Has anyone here raised growing beds this high? What sizes of beds would
you recommend?

Thanks!