Old 15-12-2010, 05:17 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
'Mike'[_4_] 'Mike'[_4_] is offline

Default Blue tits and friends

"Dave Hill" wrote in message
We have been getting a great deal of activity from the blue tits since
the start of the hard frosts, I don't think I have seen so many on our
feeders, also a fer Great Tits, Coal Tits, but no sign of our Long
Tailed Tits, tyhat was till today when they turned up in force, over
12 of them as far as I could count, feeding as if they hadn't eaten
for days. I was afraid that they had been lost to the cold.
I just hope they get through the comming cold spell that is being
forecast.
David Hill

A terrific amount of activity in and around the nest box under the veranda
today. Many many visits, some with the bird staying in for quite a while.

Unable to see if nesting material is going in, my feeling is no.

Interesting point is that sometimes, when one bird is in the box, the other
will be on the Honeysuckle just outside, and try and look in. If the bird is
outside, the one inside stays inside for quite some while.

Activity been going on all day, not noticed it before. When the bird does
come out, it will fly from bush to bush or tree, not appearing to collect
anything, then fly back to the nest box.

Picture five, taken from the computer, shows the nest box up to the right so
I am getting a front row view http://www.myalbum.com/Album=4X3JO4J6

Any ideas what they are up to?

Mike

Today, is the tomorrow, you were worrying about, yesterday.