Old 20-04-2003, 06:16 AM
Marvin Hlavac

Default SNAILS!!!!

"LeighMo" wrote in message
I have that I tried it , did not do a thing.

If Had-a-Snail didn't work for you, Aquarisol won't, either. They are
basically the same thing: copper solutions. Aquarisol is a weaker
concentration, I think, so it will be useless if Had-a-Snail didn't work.

Poisoning the snails is usually a short-term solution at best, and can cause
problems long-term. If you search Google on it, you'll find that copper
usually can't kill all the snails without killing the fish and plants, too.
And the ones left will soon rebound in population.

I've found the best solutions to snails are natural methods: snail-eating

fish,
like loaches, or baiting/trapping/picking them out manually.

Another method I've found is, believe it or not, introducing more snails.

When
I put a half-dozen apple snails (Pomacea bridgesii, of course!) into my 29
gallon tank, the populations of pond snails, ramshorns, and MTS plummetted. I
think the big snails simply out-competed the smaller snails for food. They

may
have eaten the other snails' eggs, too.

Leigh

Leigh, I don't have much experience with loaches but I think I will have to go
to an LFS tomorrow. Just a question: do they not all like to disturb substrate?
I have fertilizer tablets there so I worry a little bit... (?)

--
Marvin
hlavac (at) rogers (dot) com