Old 16-12-2010, 02:41 AM posted to rec.gardens

Default Bedroom Plants

Dan L wrote:
"David Hare-Scott" wrote:
Dan L wrote:
"David Hare-Scott" wrote:
Bhavick wrote:
Hi,
I want to purchase a plant for my room. I know all plants give
off
Oxygen but are there any plants in particular that give off more
Oxygen then others and if so does anyone know what they are called
please?
Thanks
The ones that are doing the most photosynthesis, which would be
the
ones growing fast in sunlight which you don't have in your bedroom.
David
Spider plants give off the most oxygen for an indoor plant. Spider
plants have the least problems also. One thing about spider plants,
they can be poisonous to cats.

How do you know this?

It was a discussion in the Master Gardener class on indoor plants.
Instructor talking about spider plants being the best to remove
toxins from the room. Also a side benefit was more oxygen was
produced in the process.

http://www.ehow.com/list_6626617_hig...se-plants.html

Most of the references including this one seem to ultimately stem from the
NASA clean air study which was all about the ability of common house plants
to remove toxins from the environment. It did not measure the oxygen
produced. Your ref mentions "a study in 1985" which I cannot track down.
No doubt general statements that plants do produce an excess of oxygen in
the long term are true. I remain very sceptical that the amount of oxygen
that indoor plants could produce in a normal bedroom would be discernible or
sufficient to be of any benefit.

David.