Old 15-12-2010, 09:35 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
The Cook The Cook is offline

Default Raised beds - really raised

On Wed, 15 Dec 2010 09:00:03 -0500, Cipher
wrote:

I've asked a similar question back a ways but I thought I'd ask again
with a twist.

The coming year we're looking at starting vegetable gardening, however
the soil is all dense-pack clay. We're looking at raised beds - by which
I mean building boxes and raising them about three feet off the ground
because neither of us can bend over for regular weeding easily.

My back-of-the-envelope calculations show a 1m x 2.5m x .5m box, when
full of wet soil, weighs in at just over 1400kg!

Has anyone here raised growing beds this high? What sizes of beds would
you recommend?

Thanks!

Another approach may be to use a garden cart to sit on while working
in a lower raised bed. My beds are about 8" high and 4' across. I
can pretty well reach the half way point while sitting on a cart.
These were built before arthritis hit my lower back. Now I would
probably go for about 3' across.

I have the first cart pictured from Amazon.com and it works well.
TinyURL: http://tinyurl.com/2uav288

If you don't trust the TinyURL here is the complete URL:
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss...l=search-alias
%3Dgarden&field-keywords=garden+cart+with+seat&sprefix=garde
n+cart+with+seat

Amazon.com search is "garden cart with seat"

I am sure that you can find one in many other places. I think I
bought mine at Lowe's.

--
USA
North Carolina Foothills