Old 15-12-2010, 11:56 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
FarmI FarmI is offline

Default Carrot bed question.

"DogDiesel" wrote in message
I got the Johnies catalog. What a good catalog. And I see they sell
burdock, Which I buy quite a bit of. Its difficult to find. Their
growing suggestion is to grow them in deep carrot soil. Or a raised bed
to make harvesting easier.

What is deep carrot soil. ?? Does it mean I have to dig a pit and fill
it with soil.

No. It means that you need deep soil (unless you are growing Chatennay type
carrots) and soil that has not had lots of recent fertilizing (because of
forking). You may be impressed by that catalogue but I wouldn't be based on
that description of the soil needs of carrots.