Old 16-12-2010, 02:56 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default Horse manure

HL B123 wrote:
Would like to hear any information on putting horse manure in
vegetable gardens as opposed to commercial fertilizers. I would like
to apply it now? thanks hlb

I use it all the time. As well as supplying nutrients it improves the soil
texture. I raise roses that grow to twice the expected height and pumpkin
vines that envelope small buildings and slow animals. However if it is
freezing cold nothing much is going to happen until spring. It takes warmth
for your veges to grow and for microorganisms to get working to break down
the manure. Why do you want to apply it now?

David