Old 16-12-2010, 05:55 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Billy[_10_] Billy[_10_] is offline

Default Horse manure

In article ,
(HL B123) wrote:

Would like to hear any information on putting horse manure in vegetable
gardens as opposed to commercial fertilizers. I would like to apply it
now? thanks hlb

Now would be a good time to apply fresh manure to a garden or a compost
pile. Normally, you want your manure to be 4 to 6 months old when you
apply it, which it will be when planting time rolls around. The manure
breaks down slowly to release its plant nutrients. Chemical fertilizers
(chemferts) are water soluble and run off with the runoff, polluting
ground water, water tables, and waterways. Chemferts are responsible for
a giant "dead zone" in the gulf of Mexico at the mouth of the
Mississippi. In "organic" gardening, the idea is to feed the soil, and
let the soil feed the plants. Chemical fertilizers kill the soil and
cause erosion, but I'll save that for another time.
--
- Billy
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b_vN0--mHug