Old 16-12-2010, 08:06 PM posted to rec.gardens
Frank Frank is offline

Default Live Trap Garden Pests

On 12/16/2010 1:13 PM, EVP MAN wrote:

The rabbits and squirrels are causing quite a bit of damage on my
property. I live in central PA and decided to call the PA game
commission office to see what could be done. Since I live in a city,
discharging any kind of firearm is out of the question. I was told by
the game commission that YES as the property owner I do have the right
to protect my property from damage these critters are causing. I'll
relocate them about 15 miles from my house on state game land. Since I
never done any trapping, I could use any and all advice I can get,
especially as to what types of baits to use during the cold winter
months here in PA. I'll be using a 24"x7"x7" LIVE trap!

Thanks in advance Rich

I have a Hav-a-hart I use for groundhogs and often catch squirrels as I
bait with peanut butter. Bet a mix of peanut butter and carrots would
catch both bunnies and squirrels.

Your trap sounds a little small. Wish I had bought their largest trap
as I'm often bothered by raccoons and only the smaller ones can be
caught in my trap as doors will not close on larger ones.

http://home.comcast.net/~frank.logullo/thief.pdf

Other problem I have is occasionally catching skunks and someone pointed
out that to avoid this, close trap at night, since skunks are nocturnal.

Trapping rules vary and what game commission told you may vary with
local rules. Here in Delaware, we are allowed to trap and kill these
pests but not relocate them. I once released a squirrel in the park
right in front of a County cop and he said nothing to me. I told him I
had come to the park to release a prisoner