Old 16-12-2010, 04:29 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
songbird[_2_] songbird[_2_] is offline

Default OT techies and the UP (was Canned food.

Dan L wrote:

....private e-mail would be more appropriate for this DanL...

Songbird are you a techie also?

yes, i went up there for a 4yr degree and stayed 15
years. then i went to the hills of eastern TN for a few
years, then OH for a few more and then back here
where most of my family is.

I am in the Port Huron area, getting about 6 inches of show today.

we didn't get that much, but i was glad to see it
covering the ground (insulates the plants from
the hard freeze and helps even out the temperature
so freeze/thaw cycles don't heave the plants out
of the ground).

Nothing compared to the Upper Peninsula. I remember the white outs,
could not see the hand in front of my face, it snowed so hard.

i used to go out and walk in blizzards (if you wear the
right stuff it's not as bad as it sounds). i loved that raw
feeling of things howling all around me. still though i
think my favorite times were walking when the lake effect
snow was coming down on calm nights (very very few
when the wind wasn't whipping down the canal) you could
look up and see the stars and the moon and there'd be
no clouds but snow would be floating down all around.
sometimes it even made a whispering sound.

The two
years there averaged around 300 inches. I ran out of money and
finished my degree at Wayne State, could live at home and go to the
University. I still under estimate the cost of things.

the statement i made originally said 220+ inches, but that
was a typo, it was over 330 inches that year.

I admit I do not think of the past often, it was 35 years ago. I sit
here and all I can remember was the Dorm name, Douglas Houghton Hall.
I do not even remember the theater or the bars names. It was mostly
go to class, study, sleep, no other life. I stayed to my self most of
the time. People came and went, never really met anyone. Since I had
an Amateur Radio License, They let me operate the local Radio Station
once in while on the top floor of the dorm.

i lived in DHH the entire time i was on campus (7 or 8
years total) including parts of the summers when nobody
else was around . that place has a wonderful basement
for walking through when all the lights are off. the ice
machine in the laundry room scared the crap outta me
more times than i can remember.

there was more than one radio station on campus
when i was there (WGGL public radio running out of
the ROTC building -- and the other station run by
students in Wadsworth Hall that was a place i never
actually went to). i don't recall a station in DHH, but
that could have happened and then moved before
my time. looks like you were there a few years before
me. things have changed quite a bit since i left.
we wandered through two summers ago as they were
in the middle of redoing downtown Houghton streets.

Remember, my goal in life is to be a hermit

who writes to worldwide usenet groups.

songbird