Old 16-12-2010, 04:37 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
songbird[_2_] songbird[_2_] is offline

Default Horse manure

Bill who putters wrote:
songbird wrote:
Billy wrote:
Now would be a good time to apply fresh manure to a garden or a

no it wouldn't. the ground is frozen.

Might depend on you soil micro environment. All we ever did was toss
it about in fall and work the soil in spring light tillage. Shit
breaks down due to other like forms. A small pile is gone in no
time. And we don't have any scarab beetles.
I grew up watch Ott's /Disney time lapse photography. Sure it was
beautiful to see a plant sprout but so was a mouse being taken apart
by maggots. Talk about team effort!

if the ground wasn't frozen it
would be a different answer from me.

if it weren't frozen i'd dig trenches
and bury it (preventing run off pollution,
wind erosion and giving the soil microbes
the most surface area to work on).

and i agree that it is fun to watch
nature at work. i've often watched ants.

songbird