Old 20-04-2003, 06:16 AM
LeighMo

Default 75 or 90 for planted?

Id like a 75 or 90 from all-glass. Which of these is better for the planted
aquarium in yoru optinion, and where is the best tank for my buck? any mail
orders, or something to that effect?

Ordinarily, bigger is better, but for a planted tank, I'd go with the 75
gallon.
The 90 and the 75 have the same "footprint." The only difference is the 75 is
21" high, and the 90 is just over 25" high. A planted tank deeper than 24" can
be difficult. That depth is hard to light adequately. (You wouldn't think
only a few inches would make a difference, but it does, because light intensity
falls exponentially with distance.)

A planted tank also requires constant maintenance, and if the tank is that
deep, it will be difficult (unless you have really long arms!). I've heard of
people who accidentally poisoned all their fish, because they reached into a
deep tank without showering first, and their underarm deodorant got into the
tank.

As for price...mail order for a tank this size is not economical. The shipping
will kill you. Your best bet is probably to order it from a chain like PetCo.
The big chains use tanks as "loss leaders," selling them at a loss in hopes
that they'll make it up by selling you fish, accessories, etc. Call around
your LFSs and ask, but IME, the small local shops will all charge hundreds of
dollars more than the big chains. The local shops around here all wanted $700
to $800 for an All-Glass 75 gallon economy tank and stand. PetCo asked $325
for tank, stand, and glass canopy top.

Leigh