Old 16-12-2010, 09:26 PM posted to rec.gardens
Frank Frank is offline

Default Live Trap Garden Pests (Frank)

On 12/16/2010 3:53 PM, EVP MAN wrote:

The PA game commission says that we can't relocate certain animals I
guess like skunks, foxes, coons and other animals that are known to
carry rabies quite often. My trap is also a Have-A-Hart unit. What is
the best method of releasing a skunk if I should catch one? My trap is
the two door model. I will surely give your bait recommendations a try
and see what happens. Most of the rabbits around here also seem to be
out at night so I sure hope I don't have any skunks to try and release
from the trap. I wonder if there's any one single bait that would lure
both rabbits and squirrels?

Rich

I've caught skunks twice and opened the trap remotely without getting
sprayed or any spray being released. I'm told that skunks will not
spray if confined and you could cover the trap and take them away to
release them. Personally I would only do this in an open pickup and not
my Subaru. Skunks will dig up grubs in your lawn but are not a big
problem for me.

I wish I had videotaped the second skunk as it was a momma and her 4
babies would not leave and were jumping all over the trap. The trap was
beneath my deck and I used a pole pruner to unlatch it at a distance of
10 feet.

Like I wrote, I've never caught a rabbit and they are generally not a
problem with cats and foxes in the area. Peanut butter seems universal
but including something a rabbit might eat like carrots might get both
rabbits and squirrels.

Frank