Old 16-12-2010, 11:31 PM posted to rec.gardens
Mysterious Traveler Mysterious Traveler is offline

Default Live Trap Garden Pests

On 12/16/2010 11:51 AM, Brooklyn1 wrote:
On Thu, 16 Dec 2010 13:13:46 -0500, (EVP MAN)
wrote:

The rabbits and squirrels are causing quite a bit of damage on my
property. I live in central PA and decided to call the PA game
commission office to see what could be done. Since I live in a city,
discharging any kind of firearm is out of the question. I was told by
the game commission that YES as the property owner I do have the right
to protect my property from damage these critters are causing. I'll
relocate them about 15 miles from my house on state game land. Since I
never done any trapping, I could use any and all advice I can get,
especially as to what types of baits to use during the cold winter
months here in PA. I'll be using a 24"x7"x7" LIVE trap!

What kind of damage are you talking? Rabbits will eat certain plants
is all, so don't plant those kind. And squirrels are there for the
same reason, because there is a food supply... remove the food supply
and squirrels will stop frequenting your restaurant and dine elsewhere
... in fact trapping will do not a whit of good, so long as there is a
food supply new squirrels will arrive... didn't you stay home and
sponge off your parents because they kept filling the fridge. And if
squirrels are entering and nesting in your house, because it's warmer
than outdoors, then get up off your fat lazy ass and block their
access... probably what your momma did to get rid of you. Dealing
with wildlife ain't rocket science... do bunny rabbits and squirrels
have a higher IQ than yours.

One year after planting numerous small trees of various types we had a
severe drought. The rabbits would stand on their hind legs and strip
off bark and leaves. The rabbits sure seemed smart, when I peeked out
the curtains, even a small movement of the curtains would cause them to
run away. They were to fast and smart to get close enough to shoot them
and I didn't have a trap then. Over the years we have gotten to many
coyotes to worry about rabbits now. The only squirrels are tiny ground
squirrels that don't bother anyone. Fox and skunk are what I try to
catch but never have been able to. I get the occasional cat. Just the
other night I caught a really nice male cat and released him. In all my
life around here I have only seen one raccoon and that was about fifteen
years ago. It was at an intersection in the country when it crossed the
road. The headlights light it up so there was no doubt. It was as big as
a medium sized dog. We had a problem with some sort of large burrowing
animal until it bit through a buried electrical cable. It either died
or moved away. I can just imagine that animal chewing on the cable
thinking that sure is one tough root, then getting shocked. aaaaaahhh!!!

Around last July, what I think must have been a rabbit got into a short
wide tree here and chewed bark off many limbs. The limbs were low to
the ground. I don't know what else it could have been. When it comes to
survival an animal can be smart.

A few months ago a skunk dug a hole under the house and made a big
effort o keep living there. The live trap never caught it but it
finally got tired of re-digging it's hole and gave up.