Old 16-12-2010, 07:21 PM posted to rec.gardens
Don Phillipson Don Phillipson is offline

Default Live Trap Garden Pests

"EVP MAN" wrote in message

The rabbits and squirrels are causing quite a bit of damage on my
property. I live in central PA and decided to call the PA game
commission office to see what could be done. Since I live in a city,
discharging any kind of firearm is out of the question. I was told by
the game commission that YES as the property owner I do have the right
to protect my property from damage these critters are causing. I'll
relocate them about 15 miles from my house on state game land. Since I
never done any trapping, I could use any and all advice I can get,
especially as to what types of baits to use during the cold winter
months here in PA. I'll be using a 24"x7"x7" LIVE trap!

Consult first any local experts, e.g. Agricultural Extension agents
or college biologists. Your basic problem is that populations of
rabbits and squirrels (1) vary in numbers, usually according to food
and habitat supply, (2) spread out to fill any vacant space that
suits them. If you remove rabbits and squirrels this month,
quite probably you will get just as many a month or two hence,
depending on current conditions (numbers, food, and opportunity.)
(It is a waste of gasoline transporting these animals elsewhe
since classified as vermin within towns, you might as well drown
them. You will probably host just as many next year.)

--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs