Old 18-12-2010, 02:56 AM posted to rec.gardens
AndyS AndyS is offline

Default Live Trap Garden Pests

On Dec 16, 12:13 pm, (EVP MAN) wrote:
The rabbits and squirrels are causing quite a bit of damage on my
property. I live in central PA and decided to call the PA game
commission office to see what could be done. Since I live in a city,
discharging any kind of firearm is out of the question. I was told by
the game commission that YES as the property owner I do have the right
to protect my property from damage these critters are causing. I'll
relocate them about 15 miles from my house on state game land. Since I
never done any trapping, I could use any and all advice I can get,
especially as to what types of baits to use during the cold winter
months here in PA. I'll be using a 24"x7"x7" LIVE trap!

Thanks in advance Rich

Andy comments:

An air rifle is not classified as a firearm. There are several on
the
market that will shoot a .177 pellet at over 1200 feet/sec, and will
easily kill a squirrel or rabbit. I have one with a 4 power scope on
it
sighted in at 100 feet, and use it quite effectively..
Your municipality might have an ordinance against air rifles, tho
so you need to make sure. However, they make VERY little noise
when they fire, so if you are discreet, you can probably get away
with it anyway....
For raccoons and oppossums, I use an animal trap from
Harbor Freight. Raccoon meat is very very good to eat. I haven't
eaten any oppossum tho, but you can google it to see ways to
prepare it.
Squirrel and rabbit are good for making stew....

However, if you do plan to dress them out, go and google the
subject using headers like " cleaning a squirrel" as there are
things to look for before you decide to eat them and diseases,
like tuleremia, that you need to know how to avoid....
Cooking will kill any bacteria or virus they have, including
rabies, but you need to know how to handle them......

If you haven't done this before, and don't know anyone who
can show you the correct way for your first time, just shoot
the critter and bury it.... Using long sleeves and gloves...

Andy in Eureka, Texas