Old 19-12-2010, 04:36 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
'Mike'[_4_] 'Mike'[_4_] is offline

Default Feeding birds

"Jake" wrote in message
On Sun, 19 Dec 2010 15:49:43 -0000, "'Mike'"
wrote:

We have the occasional Thrush come into the garden along with the regular,
now almost tame, Long Tail Tit, Sparrows, Chaffinches, Jackdaws,
Starlings,
Pigeons etc etc etc all going mad on the feeders, but it is the Thrush I
would like to encourage a bit more. The LTT and the Sparrows come right up
to the door to within 4 feet of where I am sitting.

How do I encourage the Thrush?

Mike

Both song and mistle thrushes go for worms. The mistle thrush seems to
like slugs whilst the song thrush likes snails. Fine in the summer but
at this time of year they'll be going for berries and fruit. You could
grow things like crab apple trees (the thrushes and blackbirds have
spent the last few weeks stripping mine bare), berrying types of
berberis, pyracantha and cotoneaster (they seem to go for cotoneasters
only after they've stripped everything else). Try putting some chopped
apples or pears on your bird table (or better still hang them from a
tree). Raisins, sultanas and currants are also welcomed but beware -
raisins contain a toxin that can cause kidney failure in cats so DON'T
put raisins out for birds if there's any chance a cat could get at
them.

Many thanks for that. One lot of helpful advice :-))

With regards your comment on that vermin cats, the regulars know my feelings
on those things :-((
Taste like Rabbit when skinned and cooked.

Mike

Today, is the tomorrow, you were worrying about, yesterday.