Old 19-12-2010, 04:45 PM posted to uk.rec.birdwatching,uk.rec.gardening
[email protected] stephen.hull@btinternet.com is offline

Default Feeding birds

In message
"'Mike'" wrote:

We have the occasional Thrush come into the garden along with the
regular, now almost tame, Long Tail Tit, Sparrows, Chaffinches,
Jackdaws, Starlings, Pigeons etc etc etc all going mad on the
feeders, but it is the Thrush I would like to encourage a bit
more. The LTT and the Sparrows come right up to the door to
within 4 feet of where I am sitting.

How do I encourage the Thrush?

Mike

Can't help encouraging you with a Thrush but we did meet and old
chap in our local park who regularly feeds Robins and during the
evening he fed a couple of foxes cat food.

Under his guidance we tried one day to feed the same Robins and
were totally amazed by their tameness, they did eat out of our
hands and on several occasions, they took it in turns when landing
on my hand each taking several pieces of grated cheese then flew
off back to the nest.

Robins are particularly tame, we fed these Robins during the
spring season with Blue Tits looking on who didn't have the nerve
to land on our hand but you could see them getting frustrated by
the Robins feasting on cheese.

Stephen.

--
http://www.stephen.hull.btinternet.co.uk
Coach painting tips and techniques + Land Rover colour codes