Old 20-12-2010, 02:49 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Phil Cook Phil Cook is offline

Default Blue tits and friends

On Sun, 19 Dec 2010 20:38:29 -0000, Bill Grey wrote:

"Janet Tweedy" wrote in message
In article
, Dave
Hill writes
We have been getting a great deal of activity from the blue tits since
the start of the hard frosts, I don't think I have seen so many on our
feeders, also a fer Great Tits, Coal Tits, but no sign of our Long
Tailed Tits, tyhat was till today when they turned up in force, over
12 of them as far as I could count, feeding as if they hadn't eaten
for days. I was afraid that they had been lost to the cold.
I just hope they get through the comming cold spell that is being
forecast.
David Hill

We used to have a lot but not since many at all this year.
What do I have to put out for the kites ? We have had four or five at
least circling here today and the snow is really deep .
My brother suggests putting a board out with stuff on it but I seem to be
right out of dead mice and voles in my freezer!

We also have magpies around so i am assuming that they will pinch whatever
I put out/

The best answer I think would be offal - but where do you get that from? At
a local kite feeding station it is noticed that kites rarely actually touch
down to get food - they just swoop and pick up what they've spotted on the
ground- fascinating spectacle.

ICBW but I think you need a licence to feed kites and such. I know that a
feeding station in Mid-Wales has a licence and they can only put out meat
fit for human consumption. Also there are rules about feeding offal and
meat not for human consumption to working dogs meaning that birds aren't
supposed to be able to get at it.
--
Phil Cook