Old 25-12-2010, 03:43 PM posted to rec.gardens
beecrofter[_2_] beecrofter[_2_] is offline

Default Too late for bulbs?

On Dec 25, 9:52*am, seb wrote:
Hi all

I'm an idiot-level white-belt beginner gardener. *I've just moved into a
fantastic new place with a back yard. *Since I grew up in Holland, I
immediately thought "crocuses" and "tulips".

No-one in the UK will need telling that it's not really possible to dig
and plant at the moment... (I'm in Glasgow: -10 most nights).

Is it too late for me to stick some crocus or tulip bulbs in, if we get
a thaw in the next few weeks? *Or do they need to sit in deep-frozen
ground for a few months to start growing when things get warmer?

thanks!

seb

--
seb

If you can work the unfrozen soil then plant and water the bulbs and
put a mulch a foot or more thick over the entire area (remove at first
sign of spring emergence) you could get away with it.