Old 25-12-2010, 03:45 PM posted to rec.gardens
cshenk cshenk is offline

Default Too late for bulbs?

"seb" wrote
Hi all

Hi Seb!

I'm an idiot-level white-belt beginner gardener. I've just moved into a
fantastic new place with a back yard. Since I grew up in Holland, I
immediately thought "crocuses" and "tulips".

No-one in the UK will need telling that it's not really possible to dig
and plant at the moment... (I'm in Glasgow: -10 most nights).

Is it too late for me to stick some crocus or tulip bulbs in, if we get
a thaw in the next few weeks? Or do they need to sit in deep-frozen
ground for a few months to start growing when things get warmer?

I'd develop them in pots set outside then plant them for real next year just
after blooming.

I'm in a warm enough area I can still plant them, but the competing problem
is I am so warm, they don't do as well unless you dig them up every winter
and put them in the freezer.