Old 25-12-2010, 08:24 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Graham Harrison[_2_] Graham Harrison[_2_] is offline

Default Bird feeder question

"Moonraker" wrote in message
I, for years, have put out mixed seed and peanuts for our feathered
friends. Up until this year I have never had many peanuts eaten, I need to
refill the seed feeders daily, but the peanut one perhaps once in the
Winter. This year they are eating more peanuts than seed, I wonder why. I
would have put it down to the cold weather, except that they were doing
this in early Autumn before we were zapped by anti global warming. Any
ideas why this should be? I have the same selection of birds as other
years.

Yes, I've always got through seed faster than nuts. In part I put it down
to the birds picking up some seeds and then rejecting them to the ground
(happens with "no mess" seed too) and I've learned to let them empty the
feeder and then given them a day to hoover around on the ground. It also
seems to be positioning. I've got a nut feeder close to the house which
goes down more slowly than one further away. It's also related to the type
of feeder. When we moved to Somerset the "squirrel problem" we had in
Berkshire went away but I still use the squirrel proof feeder and it goes
down more slowly than any of the others wherever I put it. The Woodpecker
can't use the squirrel proof feeder (it's one of the ones in a "cage").

Maybe the cold has bought something different to your feeders. We've had
wagtails recently which haven't visited before (not that they eat nuts).