Old 26-12-2010, 06:22 AM posted to rec.gardens
Billy[_10_] Billy[_10_] is offline

Default Too late for bulbs?

In article ,
seb wrote:
[color=blue][i]
John McGaw;908392 Wrote: [color=green][i]
On 12/25/2010 10:43 AM, beecrofter wrote:
On Dec 25, 9:52 am,
wrote:
Hi all

I'm an idiot-level white-belt beginner gardener. [snip]
Is it too late for me to stick some crocus or tulip bulbs in, if we
get
a thaw in the next few weeks? Or do they need to sit in deep-frozen
ground for a few months to start growing when things get warmer?

thanks!

seb

Thanks for all your knowledge! I did say I'm a
turning-up-to-the-dojo-for-the-first-time-wearing-the-wrong-clothes
white-belt gardener, so I won't be embarrassed to ask: what does the
mulch do, whether thick or thin? Presumably it doesn't do anything for
nutrition - is it to do with preventing ground frost from penetrating
deeply? But then I get the impression that bulbs _like_ being frozen.

@JohnMcGaw - your physical location puts the problems we've been having
in Scotland into perspective! No, I don't think Glasgow generally gets
bad ground-frost (though this year has been exceptional) - in the
context of Scotland it's facing the Atlantic and Gulf Stream, and tends
to be damp, wet and warmer. Two hours with a hairdryer on the pipe got
my water supply back online the other day - and that problem was to do
with 3m of air-exposed pipe crossing a sunken area, rather than ground
frost.

I guess I'll see what my muscles and a fork can do with the earth once
the thaw sets in (seems to be warmer already), get some bulbs cheaply in
this off-season and stick them in. Love to know what the mulch is for.

Google "why use mulch in garden". If you still have questions, that will
be the time to ask them.
--
- Billy
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MyE5wjc4XOw