Old 26-12-2010, 01:46 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
harry harry is offline

Default Am I the only one who hates Christmas?

On Dec 26, 10:46*am, "'Mike'" wrote:
"Alan" wrote in message

In message , Baz
wrote

Unfortunatly it's not that simple, at least not this year as milk(even
uht),

I purchased a "box"[1] of UHT fully skimmed milk cartons in mid November
knowing that once the media report only 3 more shopping weeks to Christmas
much the general population go potty and buy 3 or 4 times more than they
need or can use.

A box at a time is my usual purchase of UHT milk throughout the rest of
the year.
--
Alan

Something else I cannot get my head round is a statement on the lines of
'Nearly 45% (or some such huge figure) of all the food we buy is thrown away
as waste'!!!
Not in this house! We cook what we know we are going to eat. Peelings etc go
in the compost heap. 'Left overs' ...... a rarity in this house, is put into
Bubble and Squeak, the soup pot, the hot pot etc., *or such as an Apple
Crumble, eaten the next day warmed up in the Micro Wave etc etc etc.

I was brought up during the war and then my parents bought an hotel, so I
was brought up to be 'frugal' if that is the right word ;-) My daughter and
son in law have just sold their very big hotel. They didn't make their money
by wasting food.

Pru Leath used to 'help out and advise' when a restaurant was in difficulty.
The first place in the establishment she visited was the dustbins. To see
how much was being thrown away.

How much food do you throw away?

Mike

Today, is the tomorrow, you were worrying about, yesterday.

Hah. We throw away virtually nothing. My wife has a shopping list.
You see people going round the stores just chucking things in the
basket at random. Clueless!
If we get low on an item at home she has a list on the wall. The only
extras we might buy are non-perishable BOGOFs &c.
Peelings go on compost, birds get scraps, still got veg out of the
garden too.