Old 26-12-2010, 03:40 PM posted to rec.gardens
EVP MAN EVP MAN is offline

Default Won't Use Soaker Hoses Again This Season (John)

I don't think I'll have the funds for a drip irrigation system so I'll
no doubt use a gallon milk jug to water each plant. I've read a few
articles on the net where you can bury half a soda bottle near the base
of each plant and use them as a drip irrigation system. Perhaps I may
experiment with that method also. You sure hit the nail right on the
head when you called soaker hoses wasteful. Soaker hoses may be ok for
square foot gardening but with two - three feet between plants, there
is just way too much water being placed where it isn't needed.
Hopefully we will get more rain this season. Last year sure was dry in
my area. I hope each season my soil structure improves also. I have
heavy clay and this will be my third season working to improve it. I've
been adding cow manure, compost, grass clippings, dried leaves in the
fall and most any other kind of organic matter. I know it will take
time but I'm getting nice crops and it should improve with each passing
year

Rich from PA Zone 5-6