Old 26-12-2010, 05:10 PM posted to rec.gardens
cshenk cshenk is offline

Default Won't Use Soaker Hoses Again This Season (John)

"EVP MAN" wrote

I don't think I'll have the funds for a drip irrigation system so I'll
no doubt use a gallon milk jug to water each plant. I've read a few
articles on the net where you can bury half a soda bottle near the base
of each plant and use them as a drip irrigation system. Perhaps I may
experiment with that method also. You sure hit the nail right on the

It can be done but I mostly container garden. Thats a simple factor of 26
years Navy moves and apartments involved where you can't have a garden.

Now I do it because I don't want my dogs peeing on my food (grin, maybe it's
organic but not the sort of organic I wanna eat!).

To make a container garden work, I've done the drip type milk/soda bottle
type of water feed often but the style is a bit different probably. It's
upended bottles with a pinhole at the 'bottom' (but hung up so that's at the
top) and fishing airline hose. That is a specific though to container
gardening and you seem inground.

fall and most any other kind of organic matter. I know it will take
time but I'm getting nice crops and it should improve with each passing
year

It will! Re-enriching the soil is the main failure of container gardens. I
need to do some serious replacement of up to 1/2 the soil next year in mine.
The soild though won't be wasted. It's still fine for the flowers and a few
spots of the yard could use some filling to even it out.