Old 26-12-2010, 07:38 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
harry harry is offline

Default Am I the only one who hates Christmas?

On Dec 26, 2:42*pm, Baz wrote:
harry wrote :

Hah. We throw away virtually nothing. * My wife has a shopping list.
You see people going round the stores just chucking things in the
basket at random. Clueless!
If we get low on an item at home she has a list on the wall. *The only
extras we might buy are non-perishable BOGOFs &c.
Peelings go on compost, birds get scraps, still got veg out of the
garden too.

harry,
What are BOGOFs &c ?

You are lucky to still get veg out of your garden.

ALL my hardy(winter) veg are rotting or rotten, even parsnip.

Yes chucking things in the basket at random...done that.
But I was a very young uninformed father then and it took my mother in the
supermarket to educate me about the ins and outs of it all.

20 years on and I am still one of the worst, but my OH knows a bit more
now.

Baz

Buy One Get One Free. BOGOF.
You need to dig up your root crops & wash & dry & and store them in
sand/peat in the garage or somewhere frost free. This keeps them from
wizening up. Look out for free plastic stacking crates for this
purpose.
Or you can leave them in the ground & cover with straw/leaves/compost
etc.

Other stuff can be cooked or blanched & frozen. Fruit, beans, rhubarb
etc.
My wife turns stuff into soups, divides into portions, freezes & puts
in plastic bags which live in the freezer. (Tomatoes Celery etc.)
You have to be selective what you grow if you have only limited space/
time. Grow the expensive stuff. Potatos &c may be satisfying but they
are cheap to buy.