Old 26-12-2010, 09:10 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Pete[_9_] Pete[_9_] is offline

Default Bird feeder question

"Graham Harrison" wrote in message

Yes, I've always got through seed faster than nuts. In part I put it
down to the birds picking up some seeds and then rejecting them to the
ground (happens with "no mess" seed too) and I've learned to let them
empty the feeder and then given them a day to hoover around on the ground.
It also seems to be positioning. I've got a nut feeder close to the
house which goes down more slowly than one further away. It's also
related to the type of feeder. When we moved to Somerset the "squirrel
problem" we had in Berkshire went away but I still use the squirrel proof
feeder and it goes down more slowly than any of the others wherever I put
it. The Woodpecker can't use the squirrel proof feeder (it's one of the
ones in a "cage").

Maybe the cold has bought something different to your feeders. We've had
wagtails recently which haven't visited before (not that they eat nuts).

Sorry to disagree- but our woodpeckers have no problem
with our "squirrel proof" wire cage encased feeder.

When both seed and nuts are available to general assembly - the seed is got
through
much quicker - agreed (:-)

Even after the woodpeckers have gobbled up more than their fair share of
the nut ration (:-(

Regards
Pete
www.thecanalshop.com