Old 20-04-2003, 06:16 AM
Bruce Geist

Default 75 or 90 for planted?

Dustin,

I put a couple of pictures of my tank on the following page.

http://hometown.aol.com/brucekgeist/...e/profile.html

Thanks for your interest. -Bruce Geist

PS: I agree with Leigh's post on getting all the plant nutrients in balance
from the start. Otherwise, you will grow a lot of algae. If you have not
already, take a look at Chuck Gadd's web site-- its a really great resource.
I followed his advise for starting a new tank a couple of years back now.
Here is a link to his site-- its really terrific. You will find a nice
article on starting a new aquarium there, along with the rational Leigh
presented for getting things in balance right away. Here is Chuck's site:
http://www.csd.net/~cgadd/aqua/

-Bruce

Dustin wrote in message
Bruce,

Thank You for the advice, do you have any pictures of your tank? or a
website?

I think ill take your advice and go with 4 - 96w setups from ahsupply, 2 -
5000k 2 - 6500k and use only two to begin with.

Why is it so important to have the co2 in with the higher watts? Is

there
any website that talks about this? or did i miss this info at the krib?
"Bruce Geist" wrote in message
I have seven 55 watt CF lamps over my 135 gallon, which is just a bit
taller than the standard 125 gallon size, but which shares the same
footprint. I have two all-glass fixtures that are 36 inches long, and
another three AH supply style kit lamps that are each 24 inches in

length.
The All-glass fixtures, which I like a lot by the way, have two lamps

per
fixture.

I was able to get by with 220 watts -- the two All-glass fixtures

alone--
for the first year. I found that I needed more light as the tank grew,

as
they say, shade happens! I think I have about the right amount of light
currently. I assume four 96 watt lamps would do well for you in your

tank.
You may wish to use only two or three of them initially, two lamps

down
the center of the tank or two lamps towards the rear and 1 lamp as a

second
row in front centered with respect to the rear two lamps. As plants grow

in,
you could then put in all four. If you put one lamp in the front,

centered
on the tank, you may want to put square dowels down on either side of it

elevate the lamp cabinet slightly off the glass (that I assume you will
have), since it may teeter otherwise. The other lamps will probably

match
up with the standard plastic supports supplied on most tanks.

Eventually, my guess is you will want all four 96 watt lamps-- though

you
may be able to get by with less. I did for a year.

Congratulations on your new purchase. (I wish I had time for another

couple
of large tanks!) -Bruce Geist

Dustin wrote in message
Im planning on doing a Co2 setup, yes. If so, what types of lighting

would
I need. I would like 3 watts per gallon - or close to it. That is

alot
of
watts, but should I go with ahsupply's compact florescent, or just the
regular 4 or 6 ft shop type florescent?

Im excited haha

Thanks Everyone for your input

"LeighMo" wrote in message
I bought a 125 gallon today on sale at the lfs,

Congratulations! A 125 is a nice size for plants, IMO. Six feet

long,
18"
wide, just under 2 feet deep. With this size, you can use just

about
any
lighting you want. Though, price-wise, flourescent tubes might make

the
most
sense.

Are you getting a compressed CO2 system for the tank, too? If not,

it's
probably best to keep your lighting levels down at around 2 wpg.

125
gallon is
sort of large for DIY!

Leigh