Old 27-12-2010, 05:04 PM posted to rec.gardens
EVP MAN EVP MAN is offline

Default Won't Use Soaker Hoses Again This Season

I tend to agree that you don't save money by home gardening especially
the first year which is quite a large expense until you get things you
will need. YEP, it's a hobby which does cost money! But then again
all hobbies cost money. And I learned the hard way that small is
better. Last year I had 28 tomato plants and yes they all ripen about
the same time. That gave me four to six weeks for the wife and I to use
hundreds of tomatoes. We don't can or make sauce so it was impossible
to use all them tomatoes. I ended up giving more away than what we
used. And now that I think about it, that was kind of dumb. What I
was doing was giving away a lot of my time and money! This year them 28
tomato plants will be cut back to 8 or 10 instead. I already warned my
wife NOT to be telling a bunch of people that we would see to it that
they get tomatoes this year. This season I'm looking out for my own
best interests. If friends and neighbors want fresh vegetables, they
will need to put a garden in and grow it the same as I do!

Rich