Old 28-12-2010, 08:48 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Gunner[_3_] Gunner[_3_] is offline

Default Chilli plant without chillies

On Dec 26, 9:36*am, VinceG wrote:
I have three chilli plants in a large pot. The plants have flowered
twice but not produced any chillies. Can I do anything or should I give
up and try again with a new plant?

Don't know your variety or much on the specific growing conditions but
if kept healthy they should flower again when growing conditions
improve. Just back off the N a bit, perhaps pinch them back, to
keep them from getting too leggy. change up to a higher P when
flowering is close and adequate light gets to over 12-14 hrs a day.
Blossom drop can be caused by lack of pollination, but also by too
high or too low a temp as well as low light and /or short day length
light conditions. In your case most likely it is these last winter
conditions.

You could try a cooler climate pepper like one of the rocoto or
Manzano chiles ( black seed). Google for it. nice meaty chile with a
good heat, Originates from cool climate of Peru. You might also try
a Plant Growth Regulator (PGR) for fruit set. If you want other
plants, take cutting for rooting as you pinch these back, now would
be a good time.

I never thought I would ever say billy is right, but he finally got
one right when he recommends hydroponics to you. With hydroponoics
you can easily ( & quickly) adjust the mineral salts formulary to suit
condition and plant as well as stabilize your temps by such methods as
root zone heating with an inexpensive aquarium heater.

If you are interested, Google growing Hydroponic peppers (or
tomatoes). Dr Lynette Morgan from NZ is a very good source of info and
has been known to answer emails.
http://www.growingedge.com/staff/profiles/morgan.html

she has additional links to research including one specifcally on
peppers:
http://www.growingedge.com/store/boo...media.php %3F