Old 20-04-2003, 06:16 AM
LeighMo

Default Sagittaria & Vallisneria

Per recommendations of several people and the LFS, I bought a Compact
Flor light. It has 2 10000K and 2 6500K. Each bulb is 65 watts. I
also kept one of the standard strip lights in the front of the tank
with a plant bulb in it. I did this mainly to ensure my Mellon Sword
has enough light. I think it is a 6500K as well. The tank is much
brighter, but not too bright.

Yikes! Four 65 W PCFs over a 75 gallon tank is a *lot* of light. Plus the
strip light! That's too much!

If you're going to have 4x65W of light over this tank, you need a compressed
CO2 system. It's *not* optional.

Until you get a compressed CO2 system set up, turn off half the lights. Two
65W bulbs will be plenty over this tank.

For the PH, the local LFS recommened I bring it down to 6.5. I am
using SeaChem's Stabilizer and Discus Buffer to do this. My Anglefish
and Loaches should enjoy the lower PH and the plants should respond
better as well.

Either you misunderstood what they told you, or they don't know what they are
talking about. Lower the pH in and of itself does not help plants. Adding CO2
lowers pH, and it's the CO2 that the plants need. Lowering the pH by other
means is useless.

To repeat, use only half your new lights until you get a compressed CO2 system
set up. There *is* such a thing as too much light!

Leigh