Old 29-12-2010, 01:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
hugh hugh is offline

Default temperatures; max/min

In message , Donwill
writes
On 29/12/2010 11:30, vsop wrote:

"Pam Moore" wrote in message
. ..
I have just been in my garden to look at my Max/Min thermometer.
Minimum has been -12 and Max, this morning, is +8 or 9.
What have others recorded?
Everything looks very sad and I need to get out with secateurs and a
sack!

In our particular location just north of Nottingham we are usually
fortunate in missing those extremes of foul weather often suffered by
other areas..... don't know why this is. However, at some point in
the last fortnight my max-min thermometer recorded -15c....... and
this was inside the greenhouse !!
It was perhaps the day our central heating condensing boiler
packed-up because the drain outlet froze, apparently a common feature
this type of boiler....according to today's Daily Mail.

vsop

Bad Installation, condensate pipe should be lagged and most
importantly there should be an air break in the condensate pipe within
the heated envelope of the house. It's a warning; if it drips then the
drain outlet is blocked by ice or whatever. It also prevents the boiler
filling with water.

Mine's lagged and it still freezes up. My air break is self installed -
Bosch drill with 6mm bit and bucket. Fortunately the installation is in
the garage
--
hugh
common sense." Buddha