Old 29-12-2010, 11:36 PM posted to rec.gardens
FarmI FarmI is offline

Default Saving rain water

"David Hare-Scott" wrote in message
Higgs Boson wrote:
On Dec 27, 9:55 pm, Higgs Boson wrote:
I have filled 2 trash cans with rain water, and could have filled two
more! Also assorted buckets and other receptacles. We have had some
great rains here in So. Calif. coastal, after several years of almost
no rain. It's only end December, and the rainy season theoretically
lasts from Nov. to March, but these days who knows..

Question: To keep the water barrels from getting scummy or worse, I'm
thinking of adding bleach -- not enough to render the water dangerous
to plants, but enough to keep it safe.

How much per 32 gal. trash can would fill that bill?

TIA

HB

Please, if anybody has had experience, would you share it? Tx

HB

If you cover them properly you will have very little problem. This keeps
out mosquitos and other bugs and prevent algae from growing by excluding
light. 32gal US is a tiny amount of water which isn't going very far.
Unless you plan on keeping this water for months for souvenir purposes no
bleach is required. And you will be able to wash your hair in it.

I use a garbage can to catch the overrun from a small tank that catches the
rain off our side verandah. I use all of the water from the garbage can in
one watering session of pot plants with a watering can. I can't see any
need to treat it at all given that it's such a tiny amount.