Old 30-12-2010, 01:34 AM posted to rec.gardens
Brooklyn1 Brooklyn1 is offline

Default Saving rain water

On Wed, 29 Dec 2010 20:22:42 -0500, "cshenk" wrote:

"Brooklyn1" wrote
"cshenk" wrote:
"Higgs Boson" wrote

Question: To keep the water barrels from getting scummy or worse, I'm
thinking of adding bleach -- not enough to render the water dangerous
to plants, but enough to keep it safe.

How much per 32 gal. trash can would fill that bill?

1 ts per 5 gallons.

Chlorine bleach evaporates quickly... "1 ts" won't do a whit and
within a couple hours it'll be like it was never there at all.

1 TS per 5 gallons is the USDA recommended amount to render clear water safe
for drinking. With only a 32G container (my fish tank is more than double
that) he's not storing it for long.

Your aquarium water is chlorinated, you're an idiot and a liar.